Banana Loaf with Raspberry Coconut Whipped Cream
Today I was craving banana bread like nothing else, and while there are a million banana bread recipes out there - i still felt like sharing my go-to version with you all. I caught some flu germs from my boyfriend recently so I have been a little under the weather for the past few days. So today, as a treat for myself, I baked a damn fine loaf of banana bread. It’s a little simpler than the last loaf I posted, also a little healthier (well, not as heavy on your stomach). Goes down a treat with my whipped coconut raspberry cream slathered on top too!
So give it a try, let me know how it goes. I promise to start posting new recipes very shortly - maybe when my body has shaken this retched cough. Happy weekend everybody, go out and soak up some Vitamin D tomorrow.
- 1 can of coconut cream
- Handful frozen raspberries
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
1. To make your coconut cream you need to place a can of coconut cream in the fridge overnight (at least 24 hours) and do NOT shake the can at all during this process, not even when you take it out.
2. In a blender or a food processor blend your raspberries and maple syrup until pureed.
3. Take your coconut cream out of the fridge & remove the lid. Scoop out the cream from the top of the can into a bowl, being very careful not to mix it with the water underneath.
4. Once all the cream is scooped out of the can, tip the water from the bottom into a jar and keep it in the fridge to use for something else (use within 24 hours).
5. Grab a big whisk, combine the raspberry puree with the coconut cream in a bowl and whisk for 3-5 minutes until peaks appear.
6. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- 1½ cups organic wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut (preservative free)
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large over-ripe (brown/black) bananas
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 Tbs Vanilla extract (or essence, or the real deal vanilla pod)
- 2 Tbs flaxseed meal
- Handful walnuts
- Handful dates
1. To make the Banana Loaf firstly preheat your oven to 180c & grease/line a loaf tin.
2. In a small bowl place your 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal with 4 to 5 tablespoons of water, give it a little mix and leave to the side.
3. Measure your flour, coconut, sugar, spices and baking powder into a large bowl and mix to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, combine your banana, coconut oil, vanilla and almond milk. Mash with a fork so the banana is well broken up.
5. Your flaxseed mixture has now become what is known as a 'Flax Egg', combine this with your wet ingredients.
6. Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and add the wet mixture, stir it all until there are no longer dry clumps (if your mixture is too dry for some reason, add a splash of water or a little more almond milk).
7. Chop your walnuts & dates and mix them through. Then pour your mixture into the pre-lined tin and bake for 30-45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. It's best to keep checking after around 30 minutes so you don't end up with a burnt top or sides.
8. When the bread is done, let it cool for at least 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving. Add a dollop of cream & enjoy!