I love tempeh so much, which is lucky really because it happens to be one of the highest sources of vegan protein. You should always buy organic, you don't want any nasties hiding on those glorious soybeans before fermentation. I wanted to share with you all my quick and easy vegan satay sauce recipe, it's so delicious and simple to whip up at the last minute. I roasted some kumera beforehand (see post above for roasting veggies), and also fried up my tempeh using coconut oil. Cook some brown rice while you're at it (directions on the packet).
Vegan satay sauce
- 2 Tbs peanut butter
- 1/4 cup tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (chilli puree)
- 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs vegan fish sauce (optional)
- water to taste
- coriander and shallots to serve (optional)
- sesame oil to dress (optional)
1. Place a saucepan on the stove and add the tamari, when heated through add the peanut butter, fish sauce, and samba oelek - stir gradually until combined.
2. Check the consistency and add water to preference (I usually add one tablespoon at a time until happy, thin enough to pour but still rich).
3. When you're happy with the consistency, take off heat and stir in rice wine vinegar.
4. To serve, pour sauce over brown rice and vegetables, I like to top mine with coriander and shallots, and perhaps a drizzle of sesame oil.
Enjoy, friends - and Happy New Year!
Love elsie x