Well, here in Sydney it's clear that Winter has finally hit. It's always obvious when you start wearing a jumper to bed and drinking an extra 15 cups of tea per day. Ok maybe not 15, but pretty close. With all of this chilly weather it's been a struggle for me to make my regular green smoothies each day. The last thought in my head each night before I fall asleep is generally 'what am I going to have for breakfast?' and lately the only things I can think of are warm porridges and stewed fruit. So I decided to whip up a really quick poached pear breaky the other morning, and thought it best to share with you all.
Generally, poached pear recipes call for wine, cider or some kind of fermented alcoholic beverage, but considering I don't drink very often - there is never any alcohol in my house anymore. Never fear, It's easy to make do - I just used basic ingredients which I'm sure most people would have on hand, and they turned out delicious. These pears are melt-in-your-mouth and so simple to make. You simply must give it a go!
- 2 bartlett pears
- 1 clove of cinnamon
- 3 strips of lemon rind
- 2.5 cups of water
- 2.5 cups of almond milk
- 1/2 cup panela (unrefined cane sugar)
1. To poach the pears, remove the skin by peeling carefully - be sure to keep the pear's intact.
2. Place a saucepan on medium heat and add the liquid. Once its simmering slightly, add the sugar and stir for a few minutes until combined.
3. Carefully place the whole pears in the saucepan, standing up if possible. Add the other ingredients, turn the heat to medium/low and put the lid on.
4. Leave the pears to simmer for about 10-20 minutes, but be sure to check them every few minutes to make sure its all going smoothly.
5. Meanwhile you can make your porridge to accompany, there is a great buckwheat porridge recipe here.
6. When the pears are ready, you will be able to push a fork lightly into the side. Remove them from the pot with tongs, and serve them with buckwheat porridge, and coconut yoghurt for some extra yum!
Enjoy, and be sure to rug up if you're going out at night!!
Love Amy x